Sunday, January 27, 2008

Dear Northville Church Friends,

Many of you have asked how you can help.

Traditional:
Prayers - I appreciate them all so much.
Judy B. is coordinating meals, etc.
Thank you for your kind and loving support!

I also have an alternative concrete suggestion/request:

I encourage you to support the all-church planning meeting on Saturday, Feb.2.
(My contribution, since I cannot be there.)

I recently read some articles in The Christian Century (January 29, 2008), regarding the impact of "megachurches". I think it is relevant to our church and our church-identity.

Interesting quotation:
"A recent self-study done by a Willow Creek Community Church Reveal: Where Are You? indicated that simply creating programs to meet perceived needs - the church's longtime strategy - had not led to the formation of mature Christians. According to Willow Creek founder and pastor Bill Hybels, more emphasis needs to be placed on equipping people to further their own faith growth through spiritual practices. Instead of providing the program of the week or year, the church needs to develop practices of faith for a lifetime."

(Smile, "Disciple" students!)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just learned of your blog today and am blest by your writings and encouraged by your words. You are a comfort and peace to all who know you. You are well covered in prayer as well as your doctors and family. What a blessing to know the Lord in these times. Brenda

Anonymous said...

Dear Laura,
Our hearts and prayers are with you and John and your children as you prepare for your surgery tomorrow. May God's blessings be with you all and with the doctors and medical professionals; may He give them wisdom and strength. Laura, as I read your blog, I'm learning what a person of strength you are. Your faith is undeterred, even through these tough times. You are such an inspiration. God bless, and we'll be thinking of you tomorrow. Sue and Hans Schaefer