Saturday, May 3, 2008

Saturday with Dr. Malviya

Today was my pre-chemotherapy check-up with my doctor.
I will have my next blood draw on Tuesday morning, and I will schedule a CT scan for later this month.

Questions

I always type up a sheet of questions, and I had a couple about my future.

1) Last week when I saw my parents, my dad (who motorcycles and plows snow and a garden and drives neighbors to 2-hours-away-doctor's appointments and whose 75th birthday is May 30) mentioned something about "When you are in your 70's...."

I must have assumed that I would not be here in my 70's. But now that I thought about it, I wondered if I should make assumptions either way.

2) John and I have been leading an intensive high-commitment Bible study this year. It is the time of year to start making plans if we are going to do the same thing next year in the new place (if that fits into their programming). So what about next year?

Dr. Malviya's Response

Dr. Malviya said not to make assumptions, and to go ahead and make plans for my future. If "something unforeseen" comes up, then we will deal with it.

But go ahead and make plans for my life.

I can't tell you how many kinds of tree blossoms I noticed on the way home.


But a lot, and they were beautiful.

"For surely I know the plans I have for you, says the Lord,
plans for your welfare and not for harm,
to give you a future with hope."
Jeremiah 29:11

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Laura,

We're glad you and John have had an opportunity to enjoy this beautiful spring with family and friends. The blossoms are beautiful, aren't they, and are a sign of renewal and hope. You are in our thoughts are prayers for continued recovery and healing. Love, Hans, Sue and Grace Schaefer

Anonymous said...

from duvall60

Laura,
Altho we've known each other nearly all our lives, I am still amazed when I'm reminded that some of my friends' parents are so young. were my parents alive at this time, they would be 94 and 92, respectively.
age and time is such a strange phenomena. In the Orthodox faith, we use kairos time (cutting through all time, circular), as well as chronos -- i.e., chronological time, one day following after another.
I just got back from a surprise 50th birthday party held last night in Madison, Wis., for a good friend from church. I left straight from teaching 2nd graders all day on Friday; and on my way home today saturday, I had lunch w/my lady friends from the UC Business School in Gurnee, IL -- so it was a big loop that I drove by myself. we've been meeting nearly every month since David was born (and he just turned 15 this past Wednesday)--- ladies who lunch.
I missed David's volleyball tournament in the process, and it too,was on my mind as there have been some issues with the coach of late.
anyways, in the last 24 hours, I've been a lot of places with people from different times in my life....and I feel like I was gone from home much longer than 24 hours.
at the end of the day, tho, it's just one day at a time.... and there are the lovely bibilical reminders about grass growing and withering in a day, or the lilies of the field, or the sparrows... and how we humans have been created and ordained to be so much more, and so to be so, so loved by God and provisioned.
I realize these are relatively easy words for me to say since I do not have cancer, but they are no less true or applicable for anyone.
we pray for you specifically by name at our church at every service, and for the whole world and the cosmos.

in Christ,
Susan

Unknown said...

Mom said she talked with your mom this weekend--so glad they to keep in touch and we do too! You continue to be in my prayers and especially with the move right in the middle of all of this. I've just been through the move part and that's stressful enough. Praying the estimate worked out ok and the last chemo as well. Love to you, Cheryl

Anonymous said...

hi there!!
I loved seeing you on Sunday at church, for it was the highlight of my day. Granted, Justin signed his book for others and that was made possible because of John. However, your presence was my gift, Laura.
Keep in mind that no expiration is stamped on our bodies. You have every reason to plan for the next season, year, and events that matter to you.
Sometimes we get too nearsighted, and that just cheats us out of all the wonderment of life.

You are so very lucky to love life, Laura. It shows in your cheeks, smile, and eyes...which is the window of your soul.

Keep up the determination. That is more meaningful than words. Your spirit and resolve to win are unmatched. It is making the difference, Laura.

cindy ferriman

Anonymous said...

Laura, It was so good to see you,
smiling and radiant, at the
bottom of the big stairs at church
just before the 11 0'clock service.
Maybe you were still seeing those
blossoms, open to your eyes because
someone had spoken hope.

Judy's tree is alive as well, on
the church grounds. It was great
to see her daughter, Lindsey
graduate with honors from EMU
recently. You and John and in
fact all of the church with
your support are a part of
that Summa Cum Laude! Bob