Thursday, January 15, 2009

Saving My Sole(s)

(Toes, really, but I will get to that... )

Here I will respond to two Comment Writers:
(under my entry "P.S")

Dear Bob and Deanie,

What a road you are on!
Thanks for letting me know what was up with you.
And thank you so much for faithful care and prayers!

Best wishes and prayer in Deanie's recovery and in your caring for her.
I am thankful for support you are receiving as well.
Also best wishes as you make decisions about possible future living arrangements.

In Christ's healing love,
Laura



Dear Deb,

Thank you so much for writing!
I am honored.
I am glad to "meet" you and for your progress in your journey!
I wish and pray the best for you!
Wow, we both have Dr. Malviya.

As for toe numbness and how long to continue chemotherapy...
I can only tell you about my experience.

As you may have read, I was diagnosed with endometrial cancer last January, and had a hysterectomy.
I was not focusing on numbers, so may earlier have omitted some statistics.
Dr. Malviya did suggest openness, so in case anyone does not know, here they are as I know them.

My Staging is 3A.
That means the cancer was found beyond the point of origin.
Loose cells.
But they were not found to be settled any particular place.
All visible cancer was removed in surgery.

My Life-Expectancy Percentage, as he gave it back then:
In 5 years, 50-60 %
(Because of loose cells and because of the type of cells, papillary serous)

I was prepared to hear him say something lower, so I found hope in that number.
My perspective is that numbers are like I have said about my hair:
"It is what it is. It is neither more important, nor less important."
Who knows?

When I went to my 35-Year Class Reunion in August, someone looked in my eyes and said,
"See you at the 40-Year Reunion."
I am looking forward to that.

With that said, I will go on to say that I had no trouble agreeing to nine sessions of chemotherapy.
I should also say that I have not had horrible experiences of sickness with the chemotherapy.
It certainly affected me. But I was thankful, thinking it could have been much worse.

As for my toes... I tried to keep moving them, either walking or just wiggling them when I was sitting. I sometimes used little warm water soaks, at Dr. Malviya's suggestion. He also mentioned a Dr. Scholl's little foot spa, but I never decided which one, and ended up not buying one. I used (and still wear) warm socks. He made a point of saying "nylons" were too thin (not a problem for me).

My secret medicine for this though is probably my husband, who would rub my feet at night. (Still does) Keep that circulation moving!

I still have just a bit of numbness, but Dr. Malviya's question to me seemed stronger, "Do you feel your feet when you walk?" Mine were never that bad.

As I said, this is my experience, and the ideas may not be new at all to you.

Perhaps we will meet in the office some day.

Best wishes and prayers in your decisions and healing.
Laura

No comments: