Friday, October 11, 2013

Good Apple


As I was leaving from a short visit with my parents, my dad gave me a bag of apples from their trees. 
They are old trees.
I don't know what kind they are, but I call them antique apples.
They are not sprayed, so they are quite natural.

Each year, my mom lovingly makes these apples into pies and applesauce.  Patience is needed to core and take out some "bad" spots.

But today, as I prepared a Dutch Baby Pancake (baked puff pancake, filled with cinnamon apples), I looked at them differently.

Instead of cutting out the bad spots, I cut in the good parts.
I needed the apple cut into pieces anyway.
A different perspective.

It reminded me of life and people.
It is easy to concentrate on what is wrong, and dealing with the bad parts.
But maybe it is more satisfying to concentrate on the good parts,
and how they may be found and used.
Yum.
(Thanks, Dad.)

"...hold fast to what is good....
1 Thessalonians 5:21b (NRSV)


No comments: