Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Sunday Sermon

Since this past weekend was Annual Conference, when all the U.M. clergy of the "Detroit Annual Conference" (eastern half of the state, plus the U.P.), plus an equal number of lay persons, gathered at Adrian College for worship and meetings, it was "Laity Sunday" at our church. That included a good sermon by Dave E. on giving our "all" to God.

An even more personal message came to me when I returned to church in the afternoon to make copies of the evening's Disciple Bible study lesson plan. Doug H. (our Sunday custodian), who was helping to pack up after the Red Cross Blood Drive, made sure the workroom was unlocked for me, and he checked if I needed anything else.

And then he told me about God's healing assurance and power in his own life. I have tried to be so open to trusting God, whatever comes into my life. Sometimes people pray, but do not always have the response they are looking for. What if this is one of those times? I do not want to be presumptuous (that God would heal me and not someone else). I try to figure out that balance. But Doug's story was full of faith in God's love and strength. It does not matter if I understand the mysteries. God was certainly with Doug in his treatments. He made a difference. He is responsible for Doug's healing. I saw Jesus' face in Doug's experience, and I heard God's voice in Doug's words of assurance.

Jesus unlocked the door for me today.

No comments: